Lebanon News

Woman gets antibiotic implant in ‘world-first’ operation

A doctor shows the device that was inserted into Najah Wizani's led ahead of the operation at the Tibnin hospital, March 5, 2019. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Zaatari)

TIBNIN, Lebanon: After fracturing her knees in a car crash in Saudi Arabia that killed two of her children, Najah Wizani had all but given up hope of ever being able to walk again.

However, thanks to a pioneering operation funded by the Health Ministry and carried out by surgeons at the Tibnin Public Hospital in south Lebanon, all of that might be about to change.

Since breaking multiple bones in both legs in the accident 13 years ago, 65-year-old Wizani hasn’t been able to walk properly or carry out her daily life unassisted, due to chronic inflammation in her bones and joints that began two years later.

As she prepared to go under the knife on March 5, Wizani prayed that God would give strength to the doctors and nurses who were inserting a 9-centimeter-long implant into her left leg. Once she has recovered from the first operation, doctors hope to insert the device into her right leg, too.

Three weeks after its insertion, the implant will continuously release antibiotics to fight infection and inflammation over nine months, after which the device will require replacement.

Dr. Bilal Obeid, an orthopedic surgeon at the hospital, said that development of the device began in 2011, and it was finally patented for use in Germany this year.

“It’s the first operation of its kind in the world,” he said.

Previously, complications from inflammation of fractured bones often led to limbs being amputated.

According to the hospital’s communications head Dr. Mohammad Sawwali, Health Minister Jamil Jabak pledged during a recent tour to raise Tibnin Public Hospital’s financial ceiling from LL3 billion ($2 million) to LL5 billion.

The financial ceiling is the maximum amount a hospital can spend on patients each year.

The Defense Ministry ran the hospital from its foundation in the ’70s until it was handed over to the Health Ministry after Israel’s 2006 War with Hezbollah. Writing by Emily Lewis

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on March 12, 2019, on page 3.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here