BAALBEK, BEIRUT: The Lebanese Army Wednesday arrested seven Syrians and seized two pickup trucks during raids on makeshift Syrian camp sites in the northeastern city of Baalbek.
A security source told The Daily Star the arrests were made in the Baalbek town of Hawsh al-Arab, which houses Syrian refugees in four makeshift camps.
The source added that the men were apprehended for lack of identity papers.
Three pickup trucks, reportedly used to transport Syrian workers to agricultural lands in the area, were also seized during the morning raids on Hawsh al-Arab, southeast of Baalbek.
The detainees and the confiscated vehicles were taken to the Lebanese Army barracks in Ablah, near Zahle, according to the source.
The source said local media reports of the arrests and the seizures were exaggerated.
At least 20 people were arrested according to local websites.
State-run National News Agency reported that the Army confiscated five pickup trucks, including two loaded with motorbikes.
Security forces in Lebanon have stepped-up their crackdown on offenders following last week's deadly twin suicide bombing that ripped through a busy street in Beirut's southern suburbs.
The Internal Security Forces' Information Branch seized weapons and explosive belts in the northern city of Tripoli Tuesday after receiving a tip off on potential suicide bombers hiding in the neighborhood of Qibbeh.
The army also detained several Syrians during a raid on a residential complex for Syrian refugees in the Wadi Khaled area near the border with Syria.
Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk said Sunday seven Syrians and two Lebanese have been arrested in connection with the bombings, while General Security added that it had arrested a Lebanese man, identified as Ibrahim Ahmad Rayed, and a Syrian, identified as Mustafa Ahmad Jaref, who had funded and planned the ISIS-claimed Burj al-Barajneh attack.