BEIRUT

Football

Chelsea continue talks with Cavani over Stamford Bridge move

Uruguay's footballer Edinson Cavani celebrates a goal during a friendly match against Chile's U25 national team in preparation for the London 2012 Olympic football tournament on July 11, 2012 in Maldonado (130 kilometers east of Montevideo). AFP PHOTO/Pablo PORCIUNCULA

BEIRUT: Chelsea are set to hold further talks with Napoli striker Edinson Cavani’s agents regarding a 35 million pound ($54.9 million) move to Stamford Bridge.

Cavani has developed into one of European football’s deadliest strikers, becoming one of the most in-demand players after impressive performances in the Champions League and Serie A.

The 26-year-old has a strong scoring record, notching 66 goals in just 94 games since joining the club in 2010.

But the Uruguayan’s wage demands are believed to be holding up the deal, with The Daily Express reporting that the player is holding out for a contract worth 150,000 pounds a week to earn parity with John Terry and Frank Lampard.

Blues owner Roman Abramovich is also attempting to secure the 30 million pound signing of Brazil midfielder Oscar from Internacional.

The Brazilian club’s President Giovanni Luigi revealed that a deal is close to being completed but stated that Chelsea must increase their offer.

“I want the transfer to be the biggest deal in Brazilian football,” Luigi said.

“The Chelsea offer is not far from that. If we get offers that match our valuation, we will negotiate.”

Manchester United’s attempts to sign Sao Paulo youngster Lucas Moura faced a setback after the Brazilian club upped their asking price to 34 million pounds.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been told by Sao Paulo representatives that the club are obliged to pay the player 20 percent of any transfer fee the Brazilian side receive for the 19-year-old.

Initial reports had suggested that Sao Paulo were demanding 30 million pounds, with 6 million pounds of that figure owed to the player, but it has emerged that Lucas Moura will be entitled to 30 percent should a transfer be completed after August 1.

The Daily Mail writes that Sao Paulo President Juvenal Juvencio has asked United to pay the 4 million pounds difference should the deal be delayed, and has refused to accept any deal which would reduce the club’s 24 million pound share.

Ferguson is desperate to add the attacking midfielder to his squad after seeing his side finish behind Premier League champions and fierce rivals Manchester City on goal difference.

The club’s chief scout Jim Lawlor was sent to Brazil last week to thrash out a deal for the Brazilian international but the latest development may lead Ferguson to look elsewhere for reinforcements.

While there is little doubt in Moura’s ability, United are known to be reluctant to offer more money for a 19-year-old who has never played outside Brazil.

After reportedly having decided to stay at Liverpool to fight for his place, Andy Carroll has let it be known that he wants to make a sensational return to former club Newcastle.

The Newcastle Chronicle writes that Carroll has told his representatives to “take me home.”

The 23-year-old has been told by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers that he will not feature much in the starting line-up next season, with the England striker now looking to join up with his home-town club.

The news is said to have come as a disappointment to Carroll, who had hoped to prove his worth to the club in pre-season, but Liverpool’s willingness to court interest suggests his days at Anfield are numbered.

Liverpool rejected the Magpies’ initial bid to bring the player back on loan as they sought to hold out for permanent offers, but Newcastle are believed to be ready to return with an improved offer.

The Merseyside club are seeking for at least 20 million pounds from any sale after having splashed out 35 million pounds on Carroll in January 2011.

This figure might prove too much for Newcastle, particularly when taking into account the player’s 80,000 pounds a week wages.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has made a 9-million pound offer for Corinthians star Paulinho, and is reportedly interested in Schalke winger Lewis Holtby.

While the club has already secured the signings of Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud, the Gunners are facing the prospect of losing star players Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie.

Corinthians chairman Mario Gobbi has declared that the club is unwilling to countenance any offers for attacking midfielder Paulinho, who has three-years remaining on his current deal.

German international Holtby, whose father is English, has just a year remaining with Schalke, and has claimed in the past he would welcome a move to the Premier League.

AC Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic looks set to complete his move to PSG after reportedly having successfully negotiated personal terms with the club.

Italian website Sportsmediaset has revealed that the Swedish international has accepted an offer worth 12 million euros ($14.73 million) a year, and expected to arrive in Paris to sign off on the deal.

The striker’s agent has insisted that the no one should be surprised by Ibrahimovic’s imminent departure.

“I think everyone expected a farewell after two years, unfortunately the market is this and we must take it as it is,” Mino Raiola told Sporta Italia.

“The will of the player is always important, because the final signature is his.”

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here