BEIRUT

Middle East

Former Syria diplomat: Only force can topple Assad

An image grab taken on July 12, 2012, from a video broadcast on Al-Jazeera shows the Syrian Ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares, reading a statement in which he announces his defection to the Syrian opposition, on July 11, 2012. (AFP PHOTO / HO / AL-JAZEERA)

BEIRUT: Syria's highest ranking diplomat to defect to the opposition dismissed the main international plan seeking to stop the violence, saying Thursday that nothing short of President Bashar Assad's ouster is acceptable.

Nawaf Fares, formerly Syria's ambassador to Iraq, said only force can remove Assad.

"There is no roadmap ever with Bashar Assad, because he delays and ignores any plan, any statement that is agreed on internationally," Fares said in an interview with Al-Jazeera. "There is no way that he can be pushed from power without force and the Syrian people realize this."

Syria's Foreign Ministry said Thursday that Fares should be punished.

In a statement reported by Syria's state news agency, the ministry said Fares had been "relieved of his duties" and should face "legal and disciplinary accountability."

He was the second prominent figure to leave the regime in a week, suggesting some cracks in Assad's regime are appearing at senior levels although the core of Assad's regime has remained loyal despite growing international pressure.

Brig. Gen. Manaf Tlass, an Assad confidant and son of a former defense minister, fled Syria last week, but has not spoken publicly.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Tlass has been in contact with the Syrian opposition. He would not comment on reports that Tlass was in Paris.

"I know that there is some closeness between the opposition and the general... contact has been made," Fabius told journalists in Paris.

Opposition leaders and Western officials said they hoped the defections would encourage others to leave, too.

Syria's unrest began with protests in March 2011, but has since evolved into an armed insurgency with scores of rebel groups across the country clashing with government troops and attacking their bases and convoys. Activists say more than 17,000 people have been killed.

The Syrian government blames the uprising on armed gangs backed by foreign powers to weaken the state. It says more than 4,000 members of the security forces have been killed.

In Paris, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said Fares quit while outside of Iraq.

Fares condemned Assad's regime in a statement broadcast on the satellite channel Al-Jazeera.

"Where is the honor in killing your countrymen? Where is the national allegiance? The nation is all the people, not one person in particular," he said. "The allegiance is to the people, not to a dictator who kills his people."

It was unclear where Fares recorded the statement. His current whereabouts remain unknown.

Appointed to the Baghdad post four years ago, Fares was the first Syrian ambassador to Iraq in 26 years. Like Tlass, he is a member of the privileged Sunni elite in a regime dominated by Assad's minority Alawite sect.

Also Thursday, Human Rights Watch said it had found evidence that the Syrian government had fired cluster bombs in an area near the central city of Hama

The New York-based group said the munitions are clearly identifiable in amateur videos posted online, and that local activists said the area has been under government bombardment for weeks.

Cluster bombs explode in the air and drop dozens of "bomblets" over a large area but often, these do not explode on impact. They remain explosive, however, increasing the threat of later injury to civilians.

Anti-regime activists reported government shelling of opposition areas and clashes that killed at least 13 people throughout Syria Thursday.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least seven people were killed in the country's north when pro-regime gunmen opened fire on their cars. The activist group also said government shelling killed six people in what appeared to be a new offensive on the village of Treemseh, northwest of Hama.

Another group, the Local Coordination Committees, said at least 20 people were killed in the highway attacks and seven died in Treemseh. Activist claims often have different figures and their reports cannot be independently verified.

 

Recommended

Related Articles

Entities

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here