BEIRUT

Middle East

Libyan Tabu tribe threatens election boycott

Libyan woman attend a training session for electoral workers in Benghazi on June 18, 2012 in preparation for the upcoming Libyan elections on July 7. (AFP PHOTO/ABDULLAH DOMA)

CAIRO: The head of Libya's Tabu tribe says his people will boycott this week's election if the government does not withdraw tanks from a southern city where deadly clashes have killed dozens.

African Tabu leader Issa Abdel-Majid told The Associated Press by telephone Sunday that government troops have used deadly force against Tabu fighters battling a rival Arab tribe in the city of Kufra.

The clashes have intensified over the past week. No exact death toll could be determined.

The July 7 election is for an assembly that would draw up a constitution and name a government. It's the first nationwide vote since the ouster of longtime ruler Moammar Gadhafi last year.

Some leaders in eastern Libya are also calling for an election boycott, pushing for semi-autonomy instead.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here